Monday 9 September 2013

Mentos Mystery II

Following on from Mentos Mystery back in 2012, there's another new Mentos release for 2013, aptly named Mentos Mystery II. Like the last Mystery pack, Mystery II is in a blue package, covered with rainbow question marks, and has pink foil. If you weren't looking closely you might pick it up thinking it was last year's packet, and get a surprise!

 
Here's last year's version, so you can see the similarities.

The dragees for Mystery II are a cream colour, lightly speckled with green and yellow. They have a faint gloss to them as well, but no scent that I can determine.  Biting in reveals a pinkish centre. It's much more pronounced in the photo than it is in real life.


The taste is at first a mild raspberry flavour, the kind of addition you might find in a muffin. At first I thought it was a generic berry flavour, but then I discovered a bit of tartness that suggested raspberry. Later as you chew through the piece, it develops a real creamy yoghurt flavour. It's rather warm and comforting So although my tastebuds aren't any type of connoisseur, I'm guessing this year's flavour is raspberry yoghurt.


(Last year I got caught out and didn't check the ingredients list for a hint of what the flavour would be. I was more diligent this year and found reconstituted fruit juices in the flavours of raspberry and strawberry, and yoghurt powder, buried in the list. So I think my guessing may be a bit closer to the mark than I was last year!)


I'm personally not a fan of yoghurt flavoured things, but in the grand scheme of confectionery flavours, this is a really average flavour to put in a Mystery packet. I wouldn't be surprised if it's an imported flavour from where yoghurt is more popular, such as Japan.

Score: 2 out of 5 stars.

Mentos are made in China and contains milk and glucose products.

No comments:

Post a Comment